Monday, February 7, 2011

Congential Heart Defects (CHD) Awareness Week

Although I am not good about posting on my blog every single day, or every week for that matter, this week I hope to be different. As a blogger and the mother of a child with congenital heart defects, I of course want to do my part to spread awareness this week. But what? I'm not creative. Lots of other blogs will give you the facts? So what can I do? Well, I think you need to see the faces of these children. When someone says congenital heart defects I think most picture a child who is on oxgyen 24/7 or somehow you think you can "just tell" by looking at them. That is so far from the truth. Yes when things get bad as it often does for lots of kiddos with heart issues you might see them not keeping up, or turning blue, but for the most part you won't be able to tell. I will warn you now there are pictures below that WILL disturb some. But they are a reality for us. The scars are a reminder to hold my son close and be thankful for every moment I have with him here on earth.

Can you tell he has congenital heart defects?
Photobucket

This is after his fourth surgery at 2 1/2 years old.
CICU 2009

2009

And this is after his fifth surgery at 3 1/2 years old.
2010

The first blog I want to show you is When Life Hands You A Broken Heart
This week she is interviewing the parents of these children. If you think you will just "be able to tell", reading this may change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment